You are reading

Vacate Order Lifted from Flushing Mall That Allowed Customers Inside Mall Interior

New World Shopping Center in November 2019 (Google Maps)

Aug. 10, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The City Department of Buildings (DOB) lifted a vacate order it placed on a popular shopping mall in Flushing that violated state-mandated COVID-19 regulations last week.

The department placed a vacate order on the New World Shopping Center, located at 136-20 Roosevelt Ave., after inspectors found people throughout the inside of the mall on Tuesday.

Indoor shopping malls in New York City are not permitted to be open due to the pandemic.

Despite the state mandate, common areas of the New World Mall were found to be open to the public. A DOB inspector found “continuous foot traffic throughout common areas” of the New World Shopping Center on Tuesday, according to a complaint.

Only businesses inside a mall that have their own exterior entry and exit way from the street level — separate from the mall building entrance — are allowed to be open.

The owners of the New World Mall submitted a proposal to the DOB on how they could safely reopen areas of the mall that are permitted under the state order.

The department approved the mall’s COVID-10 safety plan proposal Thursday afternoon and amended the vacate order, so that the parts of the mall which are allowed to be open can reopen in compliance with the state order.

The mall features JMART, an Asian supermarket, on the first and second levels; a dim sum restaurant and large banquet hall on the third floor as well as 108 retail shops, a food court, karaoke lounge and underground parking garage.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.