You are reading

Teachers Union Endorses Richards for Borough President

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards (Emil Cohen/ NYC Council Flickr)

Feb. 2, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards earned the backing of a major labor union Monday as he hopes to hold onto the seat.

Richards, who won a special election in November to serve until the end of 2021, was endorsed by the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) for reelection as he seeks a four-year term starting January.

“Donovan Richards, throughout his career, has placed the needs of Queens public schools and their students at the forefront,” UFT President Michael Mulgrew said in a statement, according to the New York Daily News. “Queens needs his leadership at this critical moment.”

Richards said he will continue to work to protect teachers in the face of the pandemic as borough president.

“As we ask our teachers to return to the classroom, we must ensure their safety and that they have access to PPE, testing and vaccination,” he said in a statement. “I look forward to continuing to work with the UFT and their members to ensure every child receives a quality education in Queens.”

Richards won the June primary and November general election for borough president last year after Melinda Katz vacated the position. However, he only secured the seat for one year — the remainder of Katz’s term.

A June primary and November general election this year will determine who will serve as Queens borough president for a full four-year term beginning in 2022.

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer has entered the race to challenge Richards and former Council Member Elizabeth Crowley has also expressed interest. Other candidates include Danniel Maio, a mapmaker from Forest Hills; Stan Morse, tenant organizer with the Justice for All Coalition; and Diana Sanchez , according to New York City Campaign Finance Board filings.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.