You are reading

Schumer, AOC Launch COVID-19 Funeral Fund, Hotline Gets 1 Million Calls on First Day

Sen. Chuck Schumer and U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in Corona yesterday to launch funeral fund Photo: @SenSchumer

April 13, 2021 By Christina Santucci

New Yorkers who lost a loved one to COVID-19 can now apply for up to $9,000 in federal funds to help pay for funeral and burial costs.

The FEMA hotline for applications launched Monday, and U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Chuck Schumer visited Corona to highlight the program’s kickoff.

The pair have championed the program as a way to help low-income residents, who have been disproportionately affected by the pandemic.

“This effort began over a year ago when community leaders in NY-14 flagged the disparate impact of COVID-19 in working-class areas, compounded with the devastating economic impact of funeral expenses,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a statement. “I’m so relieved that soon our families will finally be able to access relief.”

The Congresswoman posted on social media Monday evening that the hotline had already received more than one million calls – in the first day of operation.

The $2 billion in funding for the Funeral Assistance program comes from federal pandemic relief bills.

Financial assistance is designated for COVID-19 related funeral expenses – dated after January 20, 2020. Those who paid for multiple burials can apply for up to $35,500 in reimbursement.

Applicants must submit a death certificate that indicates the cause of death was likely related to COVID-19 – as well as documents, such as receipts or contracts with a funeral home, showing the costs already paid.

“Now that the details are finalized and the hotline LIVE, we are working to get the word out, to make sure eligible families know to submit an application, how to prepare, and that help is available through a dedicated 800 number,” Schumer said in a statement.

Officials said that if multiple family members contributed to funeral costs, they should file a joint application – with one person registered as the applicant and others listed as co-applicants.

The deceased individual’s documentation status is not considered during the proces, but those applying for reimbursement must be U.S. citizens, legal residents, asylees, refugees or non-citizen nationals.

FEMA noted on its website that there had been some technical issues due to the high call volume on the Funeral Assistance line.

“Please try again later if you get a busy signal or your call doesn’t connect. There is no deadline to apply,” the website stated Tuesday morning.

Those interested in applying should call 844-684-6333, and the call center will be open from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. For more information, visit FEMA’s website.

Ocasio-Cortez said constituents in her Queens and Bronx district can email or call her office at 718-662-5970 during regular business hours.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island woman sentenced to more than two decades in prison for 2021 hit-and-run that killed NYPD cop: DA

A Long Island woman was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison for speeding through an NYPD roadblock while drunk and killing a highway patrolman in a 2021 hit-and-run collision on the Long Island Expressway in Fresh Meadows.

Jessica Beauvais, 35, of Myrtle Avenue in Hempstead, was convicted in October of aggravated manslaughter and other crimes following a 13-day trial in Queens Supreme Court. Beauvais had a blood alcohol level of twice the legal limit two hours after plowing into Detective Anastasios Tsakos while he was diverting traffic around another fatal collision, and then speeding away from the scene of the collision.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.

Queens father, son charged with possessing cache of loaded ghost gun assault weapons in Fresh Meadows home: DA

A Fresh Meadows father and son are criminally charged with possessing an arsenal of loaded ghost gun assault weapons that were found after a court-authorized search was executed at their home on Wednesday.

Hyung-Suk Woo, 26, and his father, Jin-In Woo, 55, of 198th Street, were arraigned late Wednesday night on a 130-count indictment charging them with 97 counts of criminal possession of a weapon and a slew of other charges after the raid uncovered the assault weapons, as well as silencers made with a 3-D printer and other weapons-related paraphernalia, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Thursday.