You are reading

School Construction Authority Plans to Open New High School in College Point

The School Construction Authority plans to convert the former St. Agnes high school in College Point into a public school (Photo: GMaps)

Dec. 8, 2022 By Nathan Murray

Plans are in the works for a new public high school in College Point.

The School Construction Authority plans to open a 659-student school where St. Agnes Academic High School was located before it closed last year. The agency, according to a SCA filing, plans to revamp the shuttered school that is located on 14th Avenue and 124th Street.

The proposed site, according to the filing, would be acquired by the SCA, on behalf of the New York City Department of Education. The property is about 1.10 acres and includes the Catholic school, its grounds and a paved parking lot.

The property is owned by the Sisters of St. Dominic, which ran St. Agnes. The school closed due to financial difficulties.

The SCA reviewed other potentials sites for a high school in the district, including two in College Point and a third location in Whitestone.

The two sites in College Point–120-05 Graham Court and 114-01 14th Ave.—would have led to construction difficulties, while the SCA was unable to reach an agreement on price for the Whitestone property at 12-10 150th St.

The filing says that the SCA plans to open the new school in 2026.

The proposal will go before Community Board 7 and needs to be approved by the city council.

The new school aims to address overcrowding issues, which have long been a problem in northeast Queens. Many high schools in the area are known to be overcrowded.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.