You are reading

NYC Public Schools to Welcome Back Middle Schoolers Tomorrow

(Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office)

Feb. 24, 2021 By Allie Griffin

New York City’s public schools will welcome back middle schoolers for in-person learning tomorrow.

Public schools that serve grades six through eight will hold in-person classes beginning Thursday. The schools have been closed since November when COVID-19 cases spiked.

“I am very excited that tomorrow our New York City public schools, our middle schools, will be reopening…,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said today. “This is a really important moment — bringing back our middle school kids, getting them in the classroom, giving them the opportunity to learn from talented, committed, passionate educators.”

About half of the city’s public middle schools will reopen in-person classes five days a week for all students who have signed up for blended learning, NYC Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza said earlier this month.

The other half will alternate students from in-person on some days and online instruction on other days.

Meanwhile, public high schools remain closed and several are being used as vaccination sites. Elementary schools welcomed back younger students to classrooms in December.

De Blasio has been adamant on the importance of in-person learning for young students. The city prioritized COVID-19 vaccination appointments at city vaccine hubs for in-person school employees last week to help facilitate the reopening of middle schools.

Roughly 30,000 educators have received either their first or second dose of the COVID-19 vaccination at city-run vaccine sites, de Blasio said this morning.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.