You are reading

New Yorkers 50 and Older Can Get the COVID-19 Vaccine Starting Tuesday

(Photo: Don Pollard/Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

March 22, 2021 By Allie Griffin

New Yorkers as young as 50 years old will be eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine beginning tomorrow morning, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Monday.

Cuomo lowered the current vaccine-eligibility age — which is 60 in New York State — by ten years. He first lowered it from 65 years old to 60 years old on March 10.

Those 50 and older will be able to make appointments and get the shot starting at 8 a.m. tomorrow, he said.

“We are dropping the age as we are vaccinating more people,” Cuomo said. “Tomorrow morning — 50 and above — make your appointment and get your vaccine.”

He made the announcement while speaking alongside Black clergy leaders at a church in Mount Vernon.

About 7 million New Yorkers have been vaccinated for COVID-19 to date, Cuomo said.

On Sunday, he announced that pharmacies can begin vaccinating people with underlying health conditions. Previously, pharmacies were only permitted to vaccinate teachers and seniors.

To make an appointment go to https://vax4nyc.nyc.gov/patient/s/ or call 877-VAX-4NYC or 877-829-4692.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Porn actor Ron Jeremy, who grew up in Bayside, found unable to stand trial for rape

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles judge on Tuesday, Jan. 17, declared that porn performer Ron Jeremy is mentally incompetent to stand trial on dozens of rape and sexual assault counts.

Superior Court Judge Ronald S. Harris said in a hearing that after reviewing reports from both prosecutors and Jeremy’s defense that he is in “incurable neurocognitive decline” from which he is unlikely to recover.