You are reading

New York City Can Reopen Indoor Dining at End of Month, Cuomo Says

(Unsplash)

Sept. 9, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City restaurants will be able to serve patrons indoors at the end of the month, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Wednesday.

Indoor dining will resume in the city beginning Sept. 30 at a reduced capacity, Cuomo said.

Restaurants will be able to seat patrons inside at 25 percent of their normal capacity but are not permitted to have bar service.

The announcement comes after restaurants have shuttered their indoor dining rooms for nearly six months in accordance with the state and city regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Restaurant owners and local officials have pushed Cuomo to reopen indoor dining for weeks. In one Queens neighborhood that borders Long Island, a restaurant owner sued Cuomo over the lack of indoor dining in the five boroughs.

Indoor dining has been open in all other regions of New York State since at least June. Furthermore, restaurants in those regions can have customers at 50 percent capacity inside their dining rooms.

Cuomo said indoor dining can increase to 50 percent capacity if the infection rate in New York City doesn’t increase by Nov. 1. He added that the state could decide to increase the capacity level before Nov. 1, but that date would be the deadline.

Cuomo’s decision came after he said the city must have an enforcement mechanism in place for indoor dining to return yesterday, citing poor compliance among bars and restaurants.

He said the state task force  — made up of the state police and State Liquor Authority (SLA) — charged with enforcement has successfully increased compliance in New York City.

“Because the compliance has gotten better, we can now take the next step,” Cuomo said.

He said the state will expand the taskforce and the city will commit 400 additional inspectors to work with the state task force.

Cuomo is also asking New Yorkers to assist with compliance by alerting officials when they see a restaurant disobeying COVID-19 regulations, such as the 25 percent capacity by calling or texting the task force hotline.

“I’m asking New Yorkers to be part of the solution,” Cuomo said. “I believe in New Yorkers ability to do the right thing.”

New Yorkers will keep each others safe, he said.

The state will shut down indoor dining in New York City if there is a spike in the infection rate. If the rate reaches 2 percent in New York City, the state and city will reassess indoor dining.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island woman sentenced to more than two decades in prison for 2021 hit-and-run that killed NYPD cop: DA

A Long Island woman was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison for speeding through an NYPD roadblock while drunk and killing a highway patrolman in a 2021 hit-and-run collision on the Long Island Expressway in Fresh Meadows.

Jessica Beauvais, 35, of Myrtle Avenue in Hempstead, was convicted in October of aggravated manslaughter and other crimes following a 13-day trial in Queens Supreme Court. Beauvais had a blood alcohol level of twice the legal limit two hours after plowing into Detective Anastasios Tsakos while he was diverting traffic around another fatal collision, and then speeding away from the scene of the collision.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.

Queens father, son charged with possessing cache of loaded ghost gun assault weapons in Fresh Meadows home: DA

A Fresh Meadows father and son are criminally charged with possessing an arsenal of loaded ghost gun assault weapons that were found after a court-authorized search was executed at their home on Wednesday.

Hyung-Suk Woo, 26, and his father, Jin-In Woo, 55, of 198th Street, were arraigned late Wednesday night on a 130-count indictment charging them with 97 counts of criminal possession of a weapon and a slew of other charges after the raid uncovered the assault weapons, as well as silencers made with a 3-D printer and other weapons-related paraphernalia, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Thursday.