You are reading

Man Released After Being Arrested for Shoving Asian Woman on Flushing Street: DA

An image of the alleged suspect and 135-45 Roosevelt Ave. (@oliviamunn and Google Maps)

Feb. 19, 2021 By Christian Murray

The man who was arrested Thursday for assaulting a 52-year-old Asian woman on a Flushing street was released from custody early this morning.

Patrick Mateo, 47, who was charged with assault and harassment, was released this morning at around 3 a.m. without bail, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

Mateo was arrested yesterday after being seen in a viral video shoving the victim to the ground at around 1:50 p.m. Tuesday following a verbal altercation.

The video shows Mateo throw an item at the woman outside New Flushing Bakery, located at 135-45 Roosevelt Ave., before pushing her to ground, where she sustained a head injury—requiring stitches.

The video, taken from grainy surveillance footage, has gained more than 360,000 views on Instagram.

The victim, Leelee Chin-Yeung, told police that she was standing in line to enter the bakery when she asked Mateo whether he was in the line.

According to court documents, he grew extremely angry, cursed at her and then put his hand in her face. He then went inside the bakery, grabbed a box and threw it at her before shoving her into a newspaper stand. She then fell to the pavement.

Chin-Yeung suffered a laceration to her forehead and lost consciousness. She was treated at a local hosptial.

Mateo was charged with assault in the third degree and harassment in the second degree.

There were no hate crime charges stemming from the attack. The victim’s daughter had said online that Mateo had used racial slurs leading up to the incident.

Mateo was released “under supervision.” Details as to what the “supervision” entails were not known at press time.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Maggie ? (@mccvx)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.