You are reading

Man Charged With Murder for Fatal Stabbing That Took Place During Flushing Home Invasion: DA

A Queens man has been charged with murder for a fatal stabbing that took place at 132-18 57th Rd., pictured, in Flushing early Sunday (Photos: iStock and Google Maps)

May 24, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A Queens man has been charged with murder for a fatal stabbing that took place during a home invasion in Flushing early Sunday morning.

Yang Zhang, 35, was arraigned at Queens Criminal Court Monday charged with murder and other crimes for fatally stabbing 41-year-old Yat Ming Wong inside the victim’s third-floor apartment, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

Zhang, of 147th Street in Flushing, stabbed Wong multiple times in the legs, neck, head and arms using a sharp object after breaking into the 132-18 57th Rd. apartment via a balcony at around 2 a.m., police and prosecutors said.

Wong, the victim, had been asleep with his wife inside their bedroom when Zhang burst into the apartment and attacked him. Meanwhile, his wife fled the apartment to safety, police said.

When police arrived, they discovered Wong in bed with multiple stab wounds to his body. EMS declared him dead at the scene.

Cops found Zhang in the backyard and arrested him. He tried to resist arrest and had to be tasered, police said.

The NYPD said that Zhang was going from balcony to balcony trying to break into apartments prior to the killing. He told cops he had entered Wong’s apartment looking for drugs.

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said the attack on Wong appeared to be unprovoked.

“This brutal act of violence is compounded by the seemingly random nature of the attack,” Katz said. “Thankfully, the victim’s wife escaped but must now cope with the tragedy of losing her loved one.”

Zhang faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.