You are reading

Long Island/Queens Congressman Tom Suozzi Announces Bid for N.Y. Governor

Rep. Tom Suozzi announced Monday that he is running for governor (Photo: Facebook)

Nov. 30, 2021 By Christian Murray

Congressman Tom Suozzi, who represents a portion of Northeast Queens and northern Long Island, announced Monday that he is officially running for governor in 2022.

Suozzi, who touts himself as a “common-sense Democrat,” will step down from his congressional seat at the end of next year in order to run for governor.

He made the announcement during a virtual press conference Monday.

“I’m running for governor of New York State,” Suozzi said, who currently represents New York’s 3rd congressional district. “I’m very excited about it…I’ve got the background and proven ability to do this job.”

Suozzi, 59, has long track record in government. He was the mayor of Glen Cove, a town on the north shore of Long Island, from 1994 to 2001; and was Nassau County Executive from 2002 to 2009.

He entered Congress in 2017, after winning the seat following the retirement of Steve Israel, a Democrat.

Suozzi is entering a crowded field that includes Gov. Kathy Hochul, state Attorney General Letitia James and Public Advocate Jumaane Williams. Mayor Bill de Blasio has also indicated that he may enter the race.

“I’m the only one with a proven executive experience. I’ve got a record of doing this stuff and getting stuff done,” Suozzi said during the press conference.

Rep. Tom Suozzi represents New York’s 3rd Congressional district. The district includes the Queens neighborhoods of Little Neck, Whitestone, Glen Oaks and Floral Park– as well as the northern section of Nassau County and a small portion of Suffolk County.

Suozzi is known for being a centrist.

In Congress, he has been an outspoken advocate calling for the full restoration of the deductibility of state and local taxes—known as SALT.

A $10,000 limit was placed on state and local tax deductions as part of former President Donald Trump’s tax reform measures in 2017. Many residents in high-tax states like New York have been hit hard by the change, since they are are no longer able to deduct the full value of their state/local taxes from their federal taxes.

The House of Representatives passed the Build Back Better Act earlier this month that raises the limit from $10,000 to $80,000. Critics of the increase, such as Democratic Socialist Sen. Bernie Sanders, argue that the deduction is a giveaway to the upper middle income and rich.

Suozzi also defied Democratic Socialists recently when he backed Byron Brown’s write in campaign for Buffalo mayor—against the Democratic nominee India Walton, a Democratic Socialist. Brown, who was the incumbent and a Democrat, won the race.

Suozzi will be stepping down from a congressional seat that is likely to be heavily contested next year.

He faced a competitive race in 2020 against an unknown Republican newcomer—32-year-old George Santos.

Suozzi trailed by more than 4,000 votes on the night of the election before winning by more than 46,000 votes when the absentee ballots and other votes were counted. Suozzi generated 209,000 votes to Santos’ 162,000.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Popular places where you can watch the Big Game in Queens

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Check out these popular Queens places, where you and your friends can grab some good eats and cold brews and take in all the action on the big screen. Spots are filling up quickly.

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Porn actor Ron Jeremy, who grew up in Bayside, found unable to stand trial for rape

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles judge on Tuesday, Jan. 17, declared that porn performer Ron Jeremy is mentally incompetent to stand trial on dozens of rape and sexual assault counts.

Superior Court Judge Ronald S. Harris said in a hearing that after reviewing reports from both prosecutors and Jeremy’s defense that he is in “incurable neurocognitive decline” from which he is unlikely to recover.