You are reading

Less Than Half of New York City Public School Students Are Enrolled for In-Person Learning

(Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office)

Oct. 15, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Less than half of public school students in New York City are enrolled in blended learning, in which they combine in-person and remote learning.

More and more students and their parents are opting out of the blended model in favor of fully remote learning, according to data released by the Department of Education (DOE) last week.

Just 48 percent of the city’s 1.1 million public school students are still enrolled in the hybrid model, as of Friday, Oct. 9.

Back in August, about 70 percent of students were enrolled to begin blended learning model on the first day of school.

Many parents and educators have complained of the continuous confusion and changes they’ve had to face, such as the first day of school being pushed back and schools closing last week in cluster zones after they had already been open.

More than 525,500 students have opted out of the blended model to have all their classes online, according to the DOE.

In Queens, the number of families who have moved their children to remote learning varies by school district.

Remote learning enrollment by school district as of Oct. 9 (DOE)

In School District 26, 66 percent of students are enrolled in remote-only learning. School Districts 25 and 28 each have 60 percent of their students doing online classes full time, while School District 24 has just 44 percent of students only doing remote learning.

 

School Districts in NYC (Courtesy of the DOE)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.