You are reading

Fundraiser Launched for Family of 16-Year-Old Who Died in Car Crash in Glen Oaks

Dylan Moreno (via GoFundMe)

Jan. 13, 2021 By Allie Griffin

A fundraiser has been launched to support the family of a 16-year-old boy who died in a car crash last week in Glen Oaks.

The teen, Dylan Moreno, was driving just blocks away from his home last Thursday when he lost control of the vehicle and smashed into a tree. He was ejected from the car and rushed to Long Island Jewish Medical Center, where he couldn’t be saved.

A co-worker and close friend of the boy’s mother has since launched a GoFundMe to help the family cover cremation and funeral costs.

Cat Rozario created the fundraiser on Monday and set a goal to raise $10,000.

In the description for the GoFundMe, she wrote that Moreno was “adored by all” and left behind three siblings — the youngest born just a week before his fatal crash.

“Friends describe Dylan as caring, humble and someone who loved to make everyone laugh and lift up their spirits,” Rozario wrote on the GoFundMe page. “He was an inspiration to all and motivated many to work towards their best in life.”

She added that 100 percent of the money raised would go to the heartbroken family.

“Words cannot express the devastation and heartbreak family and friends are experiencing at this time,” Rozario said. “We send strength and comfort to all during the mourning of our Dylan.”

More than $4,000 had been raised by the time of publication.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Porn actor Ron Jeremy, who grew up in Bayside, found unable to stand trial for rape

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles judge on Tuesday, Jan. 17, declared that porn performer Ron Jeremy is mentally incompetent to stand trial on dozens of rape and sexual assault counts.

Superior Court Judge Ronald S. Harris said in a hearing that after reviewing reports from both prosecutors and Jeremy’s defense that he is in “incurable neurocognitive decline” from which he is unlikely to recover.