You are reading

Forest Hills Residents Comfort Family of Delivery Man Gunned Down on Local Street

Congressmember Grace Meng tries to comfort Eva Zhao, whose husband Zhiwen Yen was shot and killed in Forest Hills Saturday night while making a delivery for a Chinese restaurant. Yen leaves behind a wife and three kids, ages 2, 12 and 14.

May 2, 2022 By Christian Murray

The Forest Hills community remains in shock two days after a Chinese food delivery man was shot and killed while working in the neighborhood Saturday night.

Zhiwen Yan, 45, was on his scooter when he was fatally shot in the chest near the intersection of 108th Street and 67th Drive at around 9:30 p.m. Saturday, according to police.  He was making a delivery for the Great Wall Restaurant, located at 104-37 Queens Boulevard, and had a bag of food in his possession when he was hit. The police have not made any arrests.

Yan had worked for the Great Wall for more than a decade and was a recognizable face in the community. By Sunday, residents had established a memorial for him outside the restaurant that was closed Sunday. Residents left flowers outside and said that he was well liked.

Meanwhile, in Middle Village, where Yan lived, elected officials and community leaders visited his widow, Eva Zhao, Sunday to try and console her. He leaves behind a wife and three kids, ages 2, 12 and 14.

“This is a terrible and horrific tragedy and my heart aches for the victim’s loved ones,” said Congressmember Grace Meng, who visited the Middle Village house. “This delivery worker was working hard, trying to earn a living to support his family when he was senselessly shot and killed. The incident underscores the need to combat gun violence throughout our city.”

Yan had immigrated from China in 2001. He had worked delivering food for the Great Wall for more than a decade and had several jobs.

“My husband wakes up every day and just works,” Zhao told the NY Post through a translator Sunday. “He works so hard,” she said.

“I keep crying,” Zhao said, who had been married to Yan for seven years. “He meant everything to me. He took good care of me and the family,” she told the NY Post.

Two GoFundMe pages had been set out for the family, with one established by Forest Hills mom Frances Kweller that had already raised more than $100,000 within 24 hours. Meanwhile, another GoFundMe, put together by a relative, had raised more than $30,000.

Police are scouring video of the area and believe that he was hit by a bullet meant for someone else.

However, according to the NYPost, police are also looking into a disgruntled customer who had issues with the restaurant.

The community, however, was largely focused on Yan’s passing and trying to make sense of how the murder could have taken place.

“The victim of this horrific crime was known throughout our communities, and his memory will be a blessing to all who knew him,” said State Sen. Toby Ann Stavisky, Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and Council Member Lynn Schulman in a joint statement.

“With the investigation underway, we are maintaining contact with the 112th Precinct and thank our officers for their response. Make no mistake, this perpetrator will be found, and will face justice to its fullest extent.”

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Popular places where you can watch the Big Game in Queens

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Check out these popular Queens places, where you and your friends can grab some good eats and cold brews and take in all the action on the big screen. Spots are filling up quickly.

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Porn actor Ron Jeremy, who grew up in Bayside, found unable to stand trial for rape

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles judge on Tuesday, Jan. 17, declared that porn performer Ron Jeremy is mentally incompetent to stand trial on dozens of rape and sexual assault counts.

Superior Court Judge Ronald S. Harris said in a hearing that after reviewing reports from both prosecutors and Jeremy’s defense that he is in “incurable neurocognitive decline” from which he is unlikely to recover.