You are reading

Festival of Cinema NYC Returns to Forest Hills Next Month as in-Person Event

Regal UA Midway Forest Hills (Photo: Festival of Cinema NYC)

Aug. 27, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A 10-day film festival will return to Forest Hills next month featuring more than 120 films.

Festival of Cinema NYC will bring independent movies from around the world and will run from Sept. 24 through Oct. 3 at the Regal UA Midway.

The festival will screen movies, documentaries, short films, web series and animation. Two world premieres are among the films that will be shown at the decades-old movie theater, located at 108-22 Queens Blvd.

The festival, now in its fifth year, will return as an in-person event after organizers switched the 2020  edition to a drive-in movie format due to the pandemic. Last year’s festival took place at St John’s University campus in Jamaica, where the films were projected on a 5-story outdoor screen.

“We could not be more excited to return to our home at the Regal and see these amazing films on screen,” said Jayson Simba, the executive director of the festival.

“We pride ourselves on bringing world cinema to the many film lovers here in Queens and this year’s lineup really delivers on that front.”

The festival will open with the screening of Drunk Bus, a comedy-drama directed by John Carlucci and Brandon Laganke. The movie features actor Charlie Tahan – who is known for his role in the Netflix series Ozark.

Actors Charlie Tahan and Pineapple Tangaroa in a scene from Drunk Bus. The movie will open the festival on Sept. 24 (Photo provided by Festival of Cinema NYC)

The two world premiers being shown at the festival are the Brazilian thriller A Cisterna (The Well) and the American-made 3D movie Leda.

A Cisterna tells the story of a popular television host’s fight for survival when she is kidnapped and held inside a well, while Leda is about a woman who descends into madness while living alone in a large family estate.

Cinema-lovers can also look forward to movies from Canada, Russia, the United Kingdom, Turkey and the Netherlands.

Organizers will host a charity night on Sept. 28 to raise funds for relief efforts in Cuba, given the recent political turmoil there.

An animated short film called Esperanza vs. the U.S. Embargo of Cuba will be screened on the night of the fundraiser along with a documentary called The Singular Story of Unlucky Juan. The screenings will be followed by a 60-minute discussion with guest speakers and activists.

An LGBTQ-themed film called Moon Manor will close out screenings on Oct. 2, while an award ceremony will wrap up the festival on Oct. 3.

Tickets to the Festival of Cinema cost $17 for regular daily screenings. Opening and closing nights are $30 and include entry into the after-parties following those screenings.

Tickets can be purchased by clicking on this link. For more information on the festival visit http://www.festivalofcinemanyc.com/.

A scene from the movie Moon Manor which will be shown at the Festival of Cinema NYC (Photo provided by Festival of Cinema NYC)

A poster for the Festival of Cinema NYC

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.