You are reading

Elizabeth Crowley is Back, Officially Launches Second Bid for Queens BP

Elizabeth Crowley (Elizabeth Crowley via Facebook)

April 14, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Former Council Member Elizabeth Crowley officially announced Wednesday that she is running for Queens Borough President once again.

Crowley, who was surrounded by well-wishers, made the announcement at an event held on the steps of the Flushing Library Wednesday.

“Our borough was facing crises on many fronts even prior to the pandemic,” she said. “The status quo isn’t enough. I will fight for the families of Queens. I have the experience to do so.”

Crowley, who represented the 30th Council District from 2009 to 2017, ran for the position last year to replace outgoing Queens Borough President Melinda Katz. Katz left to become Queens district attorney.

The Glendale resident came in second in the June Democratic primary to Donovan Richards, who went on to secure the borough president seat in the November general election.

Richards won the right to hold office until the end of the year—completing what would have been Katz’ term. He is not vying for a full term and is facing Crowley and Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer in a primary on June 22.

Crowley announced Wednesday that her top priorities as borough president would be to fight for a recovery plan that prioritizes the needs of working families and small businesses. She said she would also work to provide rental assistance for tenants, many of whom have struggled throughout the pandemic.

She said she would work to secure resources to prevent hate crimes in Queens — especially those against Asian Americans.

Crowley also said she would protect and expand the gifted and talented program at public schools and fight for smaller class sizes. She pledged to expand public transit, including free busing throughout the borough.

“I have lived my entire life in Queens, and I raised a family here as a single parent,” she said. “I know all of the neighborhoods in Queens, and I have always put the needs of Queens’ families first.”

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island woman sentenced to more than two decades in prison for 2021 hit-and-run that killed NYPD cop: DA

A Long Island woman was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison for speeding through an NYPD roadblock while drunk and killing a highway patrolman in a 2021 hit-and-run collision on the Long Island Expressway in Fresh Meadows.

Jessica Beauvais, 35, of Myrtle Avenue in Hempstead, was convicted in October of aggravated manslaughter and other crimes following a 13-day trial in Queens Supreme Court. Beauvais had a blood alcohol level of twice the legal limit two hours after plowing into Detective Anastasios Tsakos while he was diverting traffic around another fatal collision, and then speeding away from the scene of the collision.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.

Queens father, son charged with possessing cache of loaded ghost gun assault weapons in Fresh Meadows home: DA

A Fresh Meadows father and son are criminally charged with possessing an arsenal of loaded ghost gun assault weapons that were found after a court-authorized search was executed at their home on Wednesday.

Hyung-Suk Woo, 26, and his father, Jin-In Woo, 55, of 198th Street, were arraigned late Wednesday night on a 130-count indictment charging them with 97 counts of criminal possession of a weapon and a slew of other charges after the raid uncovered the assault weapons, as well as silencers made with a 3-D printer and other weapons-related paraphernalia, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Thursday.