You are reading

Elizabeth Crowley Concedes in Queens Borough President Race

Elizabeth Crowley, candidate for Queens Borough President (campaign photo)

July 16, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Elizabeth Crowley conceded in the Queens borough president race Friday after finishing behind incumbent Borough President Donovan Richards by less than one percentage point.

Crowley announced she was conceding after the Board of Elections (BOE) counted the final absentee and affidavit ballots Thursday.

“With the BOE opening and counting the final ballots yesterday, it has become clear that the numbers are just not there for us to win the democratic nomination,” she said in a statement. “This is not the result we were hoping for, but looking back, I feel incredibly proud of the campaign we ran.”

The former city council member finished behind Richards by 1,044 votes or a .6 percent difference after ranked choice voting was applied, according to the latest tally from the BOE.

“This was a truly historic election, held in the midst of a pandemic and post pandemic recovery,” Crowley said. “Voters knew what was at stake and voted in record numbers with almost 200,000 Queens residents casting a ballot in this race, more than we have seen in generations, and I am proud that we received 49.7% of their votes in the final round.”

Her announcement was the second time she has conceded to Richards. She also finished second-place to him in a primary/special election last year that was held to replace outgoing BP Melinda Katz.

She vastly outspent Richards as well as a Jimmy Van Bramer, who came third in the three-person race.

Crowley spent $1,188,572 on the campaign, compared to Richards’ $557,530 and Van Bramer’s $792,601, according to the latest campaign finance filing on June 11. Van Bramer received 17.5 percent of first-choice votes.

The Queens borough president race was not without drama.

Richards accused Crowley of being racist in a tweet in which he simultaneously declared victory last week. Crowley called the allegations “slanderous and untruthful.”

“Politics is a tough business, and it can bring out the worst in some, but running in this race showed me once again how much we all have in common,” Crowley said in her concession statement. “Although I am conceding this race, I assure you that I am optimistic about the future of Queens, and I will continue to work for a stronger Queens for our families.”

She thanked her campaign staff and volunteers as well as those who donated to her campaign.

“This election was never about me, it was about making sure that we have leadership that would fight for all of Queens,” Crowley said.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island woman sentenced to more than two decades in prison for 2021 hit-and-run that killed NYPD cop: DA

A Long Island woman was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison for speeding through an NYPD roadblock while drunk and killing a highway patrolman in a 2021 hit-and-run collision on the Long Island Expressway in Fresh Meadows.

Jessica Beauvais, 35, of Myrtle Avenue in Hempstead, was convicted in October of aggravated manslaughter and other crimes following a 13-day trial in Queens Supreme Court. Beauvais had a blood alcohol level of twice the legal limit two hours after plowing into Detective Anastasios Tsakos while he was diverting traffic around another fatal collision, and then speeding away from the scene of the collision.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.

Queens father, son charged with possessing cache of loaded ghost gun assault weapons in Fresh Meadows home: DA

A Fresh Meadows father and son are criminally charged with possessing an arsenal of loaded ghost gun assault weapons that were found after a court-authorized search was executed at their home on Wednesday.

Hyung-Suk Woo, 26, and his father, Jin-In Woo, 55, of 198th Street, were arraigned late Wednesday night on a 130-count indictment charging them with 97 counts of criminal possession of a weapon and a slew of other charges after the raid uncovered the assault weapons, as well as silencers made with a 3-D printer and other weapons-related paraphernalia, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Thursday.