You are reading

Drunk-Driver Charged With Manslaughter for Killing Motorist in Kew Gardens Hills Crash

The intersection of Union Turnpike and Parsons Boulevard (Google Maps)

Nov. 24, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

An alleged drunk driver has been charged with manslaughter for killing a hospital worker in a high-speed crash in Kew Gardens Hills last week.

Alamin Ahmed, 22, was driving a Mercedes Benz at a rapid rate of speed along Union Turnpike at around 4:45 a.m. Friday before smashing into the victim while entering the intersection at Parsons Boulevard.

His Mercedes slammed into 52-year-old Daniel Crawford, who was driving a Toyota Camry along Parsons Boulevard, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ahmed, who is from Albany, was arraigned Saturday on manslaughter charges, criminally negligent homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

“Few choices are more selfish than driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs,” Katz said. “In this case, the defendant is accused of getting behind the wheel while under the influence of alcohol and criminally disregarding the rules of the road with tragic, deadly results.”

Crawford, a New Jersey resident, was driving southbound on Parsons Boulevard and was entering the Union Turnpike intersection with a green light.

Ahmed, according to the charges, was traveling at a speed of 97 mph eastbound on Union Turnpike in a silver 2016 Mercedes Benz when he T-boned into Crawford’s Toyota at the intersection.

Ahmed then lost control of his vehicle and hit a parked Ford Fusion which was unoccupied, according to police.

Crawford was transferred to Queens Hospital Center – the hospital where he worked – where he was pronounced dead from his injuries. He had worked at the hospital as a phlebotomist drawing and testing blood samples and assisted with COVID-19 cases, according to the New York Daily News.

Police breathalyzed Ahmed at the scene and found his blood alcohol content was above the New York State legal limit of .08, Katz said.

Ahmed faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Ahmed was held on a $25,000 cash, $25,000 bond and $250,000 partially secured bail by Queens Criminal Court Judge Gene Lopez and was ordered to return to court on Nov. 25.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Porn actor Ron Jeremy, who grew up in Bayside, found unable to stand trial for rape

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles judge on Tuesday, Jan. 17, declared that porn performer Ron Jeremy is mentally incompetent to stand trial on dozens of rape and sexual assault counts.

Superior Court Judge Ronald S. Harris said in a hearing that after reviewing reports from both prosecutors and Jeremy’s defense that he is in “incurable neurocognitive decline” from which he is unlikely to recover.