You are reading

Delivery Workers Spark Schumer-Adams Project to Convert Newsstands to Rest Stops

Mayor Eric Adams speaking outside City Hall with Deliveristas and Sen. Charles Schumer in front of a vacant newsstand. Ben Fractenberg/THE CITY

Logo for THE CITY

This article was originally published by The CITY on Oct. 3

Food delivery workers will soon have rest stops to call their own — including charging stations in what are now vacant newsstands, Sen. Chuck Schumer and Mayor Eric Adams announced Monday in City Hall Park next to one of the planned oases.

Their team-up is a change of direction, after former Mayor Bill de Blasio floated his own competing proposal for a worker center last year after Schumer pledged he’d deliver support for the food drivers.

The Senate majority leader and the mayor vowed to convert a handful of unused city-owned newsstands into respite stops for the city’s estimated 65,000 app-based food delivery workers, who pedal for companies such as DoorDash and Grubhub, bringing together worker advocates and the city parks department to get the project rolling.

To build the stations, Schumer is allocating $1 million in earmarked funds, in addition to money from the federal infrastructure bill, to the Worker’s Justice Project — which organizes the drivers’ group Los Deliveristas Unidos.

Workers will be able to use the sites to charge their e-bikes and the phones they use to receive and track orders from the apps. They will also be able to repair their bikes there and take shelter from the heat or cold.

“It’s a game changer,” said Schumer, who first announced his commitment to help fund the idea during a ride-along meeting with Los Deliveristas Unidos last October — calling the new hub “the first infrastructure of its kind for app-based delivery workers in the whole nation.”

The concept originated with one of the workers behind Los Deliveristas Unidos. Downtown delivery worker Sergio Ajche, of Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, said the idea occurred to him about two years ago, during the darkest days of the pandemic, when delivery was in high demand and rest spots were scarce.

“I saw this one and thought, it would be great to just get a cup of coffee,” he said in Spanish, pointing to the vacant City Hall Park newsstand.

“Then we started to talk about it some more amongst ourselves, and the idea for charging ports emerged, and how powerful it would be for us to have a presence all over the city. The idea took off from there.”

He added: “I’m proud that we were taken seriously, and that now we’re starting to see the results.”

Deliverista Sergio Ajche speaks near a vacant newsstand outside City Hall.Ben Fractenberg/THE CITY

Said the mayor: “These are essential services. We saw that and we’re going to continue to make sure they have the infrastructure to carry out what they need to perform their duties.”

Changed Order
The collaboration between Schumer and Adams signals a turn for City Hall: Former Mayor Bill de Blasio in his final weeks in office planned but never announced a proposed delivery worker hub in collaboration with New Immigrant Community Empowerment, a Jackson Heights-based workers’ center, according to a draft, never-released press advisory obtained by THE CITY.

The debut of the first Schumer-Adams hub is still months if not a year away.

The $1 million Schumer allocated for the Worker’s Justice Project to develop the idea is still pending approval in the omnibus spending package in the Senate, which is expected to pass in December.

Ligia Guallpa, executive director of the Worker’s Justice Project, said “there is a lot of potential to create Deliverista hubs in every corner of the city where there is high demand for delivery work,” including the Lower East Side, the West Village and the Upper West Side.

Some of the funds announced by Schumer on Monday will also go towards renovating the headquarters of Worker’s Justice Project in Williamsburg.

“As majority leader, when I put something like this in, the chances of it being approved is like 98%. So we’re gonna pay a million dollars to help get these done. There’s nothing I love more than bringing dollars home to New York,” Schumer said. “But this one’s particularly sweet.”

A sticker showing a Deliverista raising his fist in the air adorns the battery of an e-bike.Ben Fractenberg/THE CITY

Adams and Parks & Recreation Dept. Commissioner Sue Donoghue declined to say how many hubs could eventually be created.

“We will let you know,” Adams said. Also unknown is whether the hubs will require staffing.

The delivery worker centers had become a signature demand for delivery workers, who last year won a landmark slate of protections approved by City Council, including minimum pay standards and a right to use restaurant restrooms.

They began organizing at the onset of the pandemic two years ago, coalescing around issues that included street safety, bathroom access and lack of transparency of the companies’ pay structures — and a lack of safe, public spaces where they could rest and charge their vehicles.

They held their first protest two years ago, cycling from Verdi Square on 72nd Street to City Hall Park — steps away from the newsstand where Monday’s announcement took place.

“Those of us who are working out on the streets every day, we know what our needs are,” Ajche said in Spanish. “So to see this move from conversations amongst ourselves into real action, feels good.”

THE CITY is an independent, nonprofit news outlet dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.

Lithium-ion battery sparked Murray Hill house fire on Sunday evening: FDNY

FDNY fire marshals have determined that a Murray Hill house fire was caused by a lithium-ion battery on Sunday evening.

The FDNY responded to a report of a basement fire at 164-18 Pidgeon Meadow Rd., just before 7:30 p.m., where firefighters discovered approximately 100 lithium-ion batteries burning in the cellar. The property owner was operating an illegal lithium-ion battery repair business inside the home, and multiple micro-mobility devices and lithium-ion batteries were found in various states of disassembly and disrepair.