You are reading

De Blasio Announces Furloughs for Another 9,000 City Employees

Sept. 23, 2020 By Allie Griffin

More than 9,000 city employees will be furloughed as the city faces a major budget deficit spurred by the coronavirus shutdown, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today.

Thousands of managerial and non-union city employees must take five days of furlough between October and March, which will save the city $21 million, the mayor said.

The news expands on the announcement de Blasio made last week that he and his mayoral staff of roughly 500 employees will also take a week-long furlough.

The furloughs will help offset the $9 billion revenue hole the city is facing amid the pandemic.

“[It’s] something that’s very painful to have to announce,” de Blasio said. “It has real human consequences but it is necessary.”

However, furloughs will only buy the city more time to balance its budget, he said — adding that layoffs could still happen later on.

“We need to keep finding savings to keep bridging us to give us a chance to get something better than layoffs,” de Blasio said. “No one wants to see layoffs, but unfortunately they’re still on the table.”

He has previously warned that he may lay off 22,000 municipal employees if the city doesn’t get either federal assistance or borrowing power from the state.

The city is continuing to work with union leaders to find savings and avoid layoffs, the mayor added.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.