You are reading

Cuomo Extends Commercial Eviction Moratorium Through End of Year

(Photo by Benedikt Geyer on Unsplash)

Oct. 21, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Governor Andrew Cuomo has extended the statewide moratorium on commercial evictions and foreclosures from Oct. 20 through to the end of the year.

He signed an executive order extending it Tuesday — the same day the emergency moratorium was set to expire.

Cuomo first announced a state moratorium on residential and commercial evictions on March 20 and has extended its end date several times since.

The extension of the commercial moratorium announced yesterday now aligns with end date of the residential eviction moratorium which was extended last month to the end of the year.

Cuomo said that the extension gives commercial tenants and mortgagors additional time to catch up on rent or their mortgage, or to renegotiate their lease terms to avoid foreclosure moving forward.

“The health and economic impacts of this pandemic have been devastating, and we are continuing to do everything we can to support people who are suffering,” he said.

Small businesses continue to struggle–particularly bars, restaurants and nightclubs.

According to a study released by the NYC Hospitality Alliance last month, 87 percent of New York City bars, restaurants and nightclubs couldn’t pay their full August rent. The trade group surveyed 457 businesses across the five boroughs for the study.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.