You are reading

Crowley Faces Harsh Criticism For Campaign Mailer That Reads ‘Eviction Notice’

Twitter

May 27, 2021 By Ryan Songalia

A campaign mailer sent out by Elizabeth Crowley that reads “eviction notice” in large font has sparked outrage among her critics.

The mailer, released by her campaign last week, was intended to attack Queens Borough President Donovan Richards for accepting real estate money—but was viewed by many as being in poor taste.

The “eviction notice” was accompanied by a message accusing Richards of taking campaign money from developers and landlords—many of whom Crowley says are trying to kick struggling tenants out.

“Queens is ready for its comeback, but first we have to end our housing crisis and make sure our neighbors can stay in their homes,” the mailer also reads.

Some felt the mailer was insensitive, since many people are struggling to pay the rent.

“What the fck made this candidate think this was OK? We have real life people facing real life evictions,” wrote Assembly Member Catalina Cruz, who has endorsed Richards.

Cruz added that Crowley “could have delivered the same message without preying on people’s real fear. But all for the mighty vote I guess.”

The mailer began circulating on Twitter after Dawn Siff, a Jackson Heights resident, called it “the most insensitive, tasteless campaign mailer ever dropped on my doorstep.” Others have chimed in as well.

Graham Nolen, campaign manager for Crowley, said that the mailer aimed to point out that Richards accepts campaign contributions from developers. He didn’t, however, address the claims that the mailer was insensitive—instead focusing on Richards’ campaign taking real estate money.

Crowley says she does not accept campaign contributions from developers.

“If supporters of Donovan Richards are upset that Elizabeth is pointing out the fact that he takes contributions from developers, they should ask him to refuse all these contributions so they know unequivocally whose interests he is looking after as borough president,” Nolen said.

The issue is important, Richards’ critics say, since the borough president provides an advisory role on rezoning applications.

Thomas Musich, a spokesperson for Richards’ campaign, criticized Crowley for the mailer.

“Preying on the fears of those who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic is a new low. We have all had too rough a year to be campaigning on the politics of fear,” he said.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island woman sentenced to more than two decades in prison for 2021 hit-and-run that killed NYPD cop: DA

A Long Island woman was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison for speeding through an NYPD roadblock while drunk and killing a highway patrolman in a 2021 hit-and-run collision on the Long Island Expressway in Fresh Meadows.

Jessica Beauvais, 35, of Myrtle Avenue in Hempstead, was convicted in October of aggravated manslaughter and other crimes following a 13-day trial in Queens Supreme Court. Beauvais had a blood alcohol level of twice the legal limit two hours after plowing into Detective Anastasios Tsakos while he was diverting traffic around another fatal collision, and then speeding away from the scene of the collision.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.

Queens father, son charged with possessing cache of loaded ghost gun assault weapons in Fresh Meadows home: DA

A Fresh Meadows father and son are criminally charged with possessing an arsenal of loaded ghost gun assault weapons that were found after a court-authorized search was executed at their home on Wednesday.

Hyung-Suk Woo, 26, and his father, Jin-In Woo, 55, of 198th Street, were arraigned late Wednesday night on a 130-count indictment charging them with 97 counts of criminal possession of a weapon and a slew of other charges after the raid uncovered the assault weapons, as well as silencers made with a 3-D printer and other weapons-related paraphernalia, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Thursday.