You are reading

Cop Who Appeared to Put Knee on Man’s Neck Will Not be Prosecuted: Queens DA

(Image via the Legal Aid Society law firm)

April 5, 2021 By Christina Santucci

A Queens cop accused of kneeling on a man’s neck during an arrest in Jamaica earlier this year will not be prosecuted, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Friday.

The DA’s office had been investigating Officer Thomas Montario’s actions during a Jan 2. arrest of Long Island resident Sircarlyle Arnold – after cell phone video emerged showing what appeared to be the officer’s knee on Arnold’s neck.

At the time, cops were arresting Arnold in front of 113-08 Sutphin Blvd. for allegedly riding an all-terrain vehicle. He had been taking part in a vigil for a friend who died, according to his attorney, Olayemi Olurin.

Olurin, who is public defender with the Legal Aid Society, posted footage of Arnold’s arrest on Twitter in January, and wrote, “This is eerily similar to what was done to George Floyd in May 2020.

On Friday, Katz said the DA’s Public Corruption Bureau had concluded there was “insufficient evidence of an unlawful method of restraint” during the arrest.

“While I fully support the spirit of legislation that prioritizes police accountability and thereby promotes community engagement, the elements of AC 10-181 are not satisfied in this case,” she said.

City lawmakers made chokeholds and other restraints a misdemeanor under Administrative Code 10-181 last summer, after the death of George Floyd.

In the statement, Katz said that the law required a finding that either the officer had “restricted the flow of air or blood by either compressing Mr. Arnold’s windpipe or the carotid arteries on each side of his neck” or that “air or blood flow were restricted by sitting, kneeling or standing on the neck in a manner that compresses the diaphragm.”

She said the investigation had included “consultation with two medical experts and an NYPD expert in Physical Training and Tactics, interviews with multiple officers and Sircarlyle Arnold, and extensive review of NYPD Body Worn Camera footage.”

In the 2-minute-24 second clip released by the DA’s office, witnesses can be heard repeatedly yelling, “Look at his knee!” and “Take his knee off!”

Arnold’s lawyer told The Queens Daily Eagle that the DA’s office has agreed to drop the charges against him stemming from riding riding the all-terrain vehicle. He faced a misdemeanor reckless endangerment charge and traffic offenses.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.

Lithium-ion battery sparked Murray Hill house fire on Sunday evening: FDNY

FDNY fire marshals have determined that a Murray Hill house fire was caused by a lithium-ion battery on Sunday evening.

The FDNY responded to a report of a basement fire at 164-18 Pidgeon Meadow Rd., just before 7:30 p.m., where firefighters discovered approximately 100 lithium-ion batteries burning in the cellar. The property owner was operating an illegal lithium-ion battery repair business inside the home, and multiple micro-mobility devices and lithium-ion batteries were found in various states of disassembly and disrepair.