You are reading

Constantinides Backs Incumbent Donovan Richards in Queens Borough President Race

Council Member Costa Constantinides and Queens Borough President Donovan Richards (Queens Borough President Donovan Richards via Twitter)

March 19, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Council Member Costa Constantinides has endorsed Donovan Richards–the incumbent–in the Queens Borough President race.

Constantinides, who unsuccessfully competed for the borough president spot last year, said Richards has performed well since he took office last year–following his victory in the special election.

“Since taking office in December, he has quickly gotten to work to take on the issues facing Queens and delivering on the promises he made,” Constantinides said in a statement. “I am confident that he will continue that record of accomplishment and I am proud to endorse his campaign for Queens Borough President.”

Richards, who represented southeast Queens in the city council before being elected borough president, said he was proud to have worked with Constantinides in the council and thanked him for his work as an advisor on his transition team at Queens Borough Hall.

“As I took office, Costa was an important part of our transition team, leading our planning committee to ensure a sustainable future for Queens,” he said. “I am grateful to have his support and look forward to continuing to work together for Queens residents.”

Richards won the borough president seat through a special election last year that was triggered when Melinda Katz vacated the office to become Queens District Attorney. His victory allowed him to finish out Katz’s term, which ends Dec. 31.

Richards faces some strong competition in his re-election bid.

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, former Council Member Elizabeth Crowley and tenant organizer Stan Morse are among the candidates competing for his job.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.