You are reading

Competition to Help Startup Businesses in Queens Begins, $10K in Grants on Offer

Unsplash via Annie Spratt

Nov. 9, 2020 By Christian Murray

An annual competition that aims to help startup business owners in Queens flourish—with grants of up to $10,000—kicked off earlier this month.

The competition, called StartUp! and spearheaded by the Queens Economic Development Corporation, provides business owners with free instruction, one-on-one consultation with advisers, and thousands in grants.

The program is in its 15th year and participants are required to attend at least four, free one-hour workshops. The workshops are being held online and cover the following topics: Identify and Validate Customer Needs and Problems; Develop and Test Your Business Model; Branding Strategies for Startups; and Financial Statement Basics for Startups.

Business owners who fulfil these requirements are then eligible to compete for a grant. Applicants have until March 1 to complete the workshops and apply for the grant.

There are four $10,000 grants on offer, with one grant awarded per category. The categories include technology; community; food; and sustainably.

Three finalists will be picked per category and then a panel of judges will select a winner.

The program was established in 2006 and to date $450,000 in grants have been awarded to 71 winners.

The QEDC said the competition was made possible this year with the support of Resorts World Casino New York City, Queens Public Library and the Srivastava Technology Fund.

For more information on the program, go to http://www.queensny.org

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.