You are reading

Citi Field COVID-19 Vaccination Site Will Open in ‘a Matter of Days,’ de Blasio Says

Citi Field (Wikimedia Commons)

Feb. 5, 2021 By Allie Griffin

The COVID-19 vaccination site at Citi Field will open in “a matter of days,” Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Friday.

The 24/7 “megasite” was supposed to open the week of Jan. 25, but was delayed due to the city’s shortage of vaccines.

The ball field will have the capacity to vaccinate 5,000 to 7,000 New Yorkers each day once open.

While many Queens lawmakers welcome its impending arrival, critics argue that it will be of little use to many seniors. The stadium has limited public transit options and many seniors don’t drive.

Furthermore, its opening, they say, will not fill the void in northeast Queens, where there isn’t a single COVID-19 vaccination site.

There are zero sites in neighborhoods like Fresh Meadows, Bayside, Whitestone, Beechurst, Little Neck, Oakland Gardens, Glen Oaks and Douglaston, according to the city’s vaccinate site finder.

A map of COVID-19 vaccination sites, depicted as blue dots (nyc.gov/vaccinefinder)

Several elected officials representing northeast Queens pleaded with the city last month to open vaccine sites in their districts.

“We write to you expressing our concern and disappointment with the lack of vaccination sites in the districts we represent,” State Sen. John Liu; Assembly Members Nily Rozic and Edward Braunstein and Council Members Barry Grodenchik, Paul Vallone and Peter Koo wrote in a Jan. 12 letter to de Blasio.

The city hasn’t added any vaccine sites to the area since the letter and the impact is being felt in the communities.

A Fresh Meadows resident complained to de Blasio about the lack of vaccine sites on the Brian Lehrer show this morning.

Emil, a 69-year-old cancer survivor who didn’t reveal his last name, said he was forced to go to Long Island to get a vaccine appointment.

“Why do I have to travel 30 miles each way to go get an appointment for a vaccine when I live in New York City?” Emil asked de Blasio. “You mentioned that you opened up 17 pop-up centers throughout the city. None of them, none of them are in northeast Queens.”

De Blasio told Emil there are more sites coming, but didn’t specify when or where.

“I do want to make sure that folks in northeast Queens get served better,” he said. “There are more sites coming.”

De Blasio blamed the city’s inadequate supply of the COVID-19 vaccine for the lack of vaccine sites.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.