You are reading

Assembly Member Ron Kim Holds Rally Outside City Hall, Calls on Cuomo to Account for Nursing Home Scandal

Assembly Member Ron Kim, Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer and State Sen. Jessica Ramos at the rally Wednesday (Assembly Member Ron Kim’s office)

Feb. 25, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Assembly Member Ron Kim led a rally outside City Hall Wednesday morning to demand accountability and transparency from Governor Andrew Cuomo over the nursing home scandal.

Kim — joined by other elected officials and families of nursing home residents — announced a list of demands in the wake of the scandal in which the Cuomo administration allegedly withheld data on COVID-19 nursing home deaths from state and federal officials.

The rally-goers, which included Queens State Sen. Jessica Ramos and Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, called for four key demands to be fulfilled.

They are demanding a Congressional oversight hearing on the crisis and an immediate and full repeal of a legal immunity clause that protects nursing homes.

The immunity clause was a provision included in last year’s budget that shields hospitals and nursing home executives from lawsuits related to COVID-19. It was quietly inserted into the budget by Cuomo, his critics say.

Cuomo’s opponents also argue that the Greater New York Hospital Association (GNYHA), an influentical lobby group, played a role in crafting the provision. The group has donated more than $1 million to Cuomo’s campaign.

Kim is calling on Cuomo to immediately return all campaign donations from GNYHA and to turn over all correspondence he has had with GNYHA and lobbyists concerning the immunity clause.

“The public is demanding to see who is on the side of the 15,000 dead nursing home residents and who is on the side of special interest groups,” Kim said. “Although nothing can replace a lost family member, our next, necessary steps will help uncover the truth behind the Cuomo administration’s withholding of life-and-death data.”

The rally follows a growing rift between Kim and Cuomo.

The governor verbally attacked Kim during a press conference last week after Kim accused him of obstruction of justice

The Cuomo administration had refused requests from lawmakers and the media for months to provide the number of nursing home residents who died in hospitals— not just in nursing home facilities.

The number was finally released following a report by Attorney General Letitia James, who estimated the death toll was undercounted by as much as 50 percent.

The number of nursing home deaths was revised last month from 8,500 to about 15,000.

A key Cuomo staffer later said that the information was withheld from lawmakers out of concern that a federal probe would be launched by the Trump administration.

Cuomo has denied any wrongdoing, saying that he was not obstructing justice by not providing the data in a timely manner.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Op-ed: Congestion pricing would do much more harm than good for New Yorkers

Jun. 11, 2024 By Assemblymember David I. Weprin

Like many residents throughout the five boroughs and across the New York Metro Area, I was pleasantly surprised by Governor Kathy Hochul’s decision to “indefinitely pause” the implementation of Congestion Pricing. Rather than seeing this as a cynical calculation, as some have alleged, I see the Governor’s decision as a deeply pragmatic response to the crescendo of public concerns that I and many others have raised for years. As the countdown to the June 30 implementation date neared, everyday New Yorkers did what we do best: we spoke up for ourselves and said we won’t accept a bad deal! I applaud Governor Hochul for having the courage not just to listen to us but to take a tough stand against this misguided policy.