You are reading

As COVID Cases Rise in Queens and Throughout City, De Blasio Says NYC Has ‘One Last Chance to Stop Second Wave’

Mayor Bill de Blasio ( Michael Appleton/ Mayoral Photography Office)

Nov. 9, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City has “one last chance” to stop a second wave of the coronavirus as new cases continue to surge, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today.

The number of new cases on a seven-day average — as of Saturday — increased to 779 citywide, up from 593 a week earlier and well above the city’s threshold of the 550 cases it deems safe.

Meanwhile, the the COVID-19 positivity rate has been at about 2 percent or higher for a week and reached 2.36 percent Saturday, de Blasio said Monday.

The city had managed to keep the rate around 1 percent toward the end of summer. The number, however, has continued to creep up since then.

The rise of coronavirus is a problem throughout the city, but some ZIP codes are seeing an uptick greater than others, de Blasio said.

In Queens, Richmond Hill (11418), Averne/ Broad Channel (11693), Hollis/ Holliswood (11423) and Ditmars Steinway (11105) are areas of concern, according to city testing data. The neighborhoods have COVID-19 positivity rates of 4.43 percent, 3.85 percent, 3.84 percent and 3.60 percent respectively.

De Blasio said the numbers show New York City is “dangerously close” to another coronavirus outbreak as COVID-19 cases rise across the country.

“We need to do everything in our power to stop the coronavirus from reasserting [its self] in New York City,” he said at a press briefing Monday. “We have to stop a second wave from happening here.”

The mayor warned that he would have to impose restrictions–such as closing schools and businesses– should the city enter a “full-blown” second wave.

However, he said the city can avoid the closures if the case numbers and positivity rates come down.

“There’s still time to fight [the rising numbers] back, but those are numbers that should have us all alarmed and ready to act with everything we got.”

De Blasio and the City Health Commissioner Dave Chokshi advised New Yorkers to wear masks and avoid indoor gatherings.

They also asked residents not to travel or attend indoor parties and gatherings for the upcoming holidays.

“The virus starts local, but — as we’re seeing around the country and around the world — it doesn’t stay local unless each of us takes the action that we need to to protect ourselves as well as ours,” Chokshi said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Woman found dead with ‘visible signs of trauma’ inside her Little Neck home: NYPD

NYPD detectives are working to determine how a woman was killed inside a Little Neck home on Saturday morning.

Police from the 111th Precinct in Bayside responded to a 911 call of an unconscious woman inside a home on 58th Avenue near 251st Street, two blocks south of the Long Island Expressway, where they found a 44-year-old victim lying face down on the floor with visible signs of trauma to her back, police said. EMS responded to the location and pronounced the woman dead at the scene. She was later identified as Kate Tierney.

Motorcyclist killed in hit-and-run on Clearview Expressway in Bayside; White Plains driver busted in Fresh Meadows: NYPD

A Westchester motorist was arrested following a fatal hit-and-run that killed a motorcyclist on the Clearview Expressway in Bayside Saturday night.

Alex Cruz, 23, of Dekalb Avenue in White Plains, was taken into custody in Fresh Meadows less than two miles away from the crash scene that closed the southbound Clearview Expressway south of Northern Boulevard for hours.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.