You are reading

City Launches Online Toolkit to Address Anti-Asian Hate Crime

This man allegedly made vile anti-Asian remarks toward a woman in Astoria earlier in the month (Twitter @mingx3)

Feb. 23, 2021 By Allie Griffin

New York City has launched an online toolkit to address the spate of attacks against Asian Americans in recent months.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday the creation of an online toolkit that aims to provide support to New Yorkers of Asian heritage who are subjected to hate crimes.

The toolkit, which can be found at nyc.gov/stopasianhate, features resources for those who are victims of hate, links to Asian American community groups, and information about bigotry.

Victims can also lodge complaints about bias crimes on the site.

“Right there on the website, you can report an attack or a bias crime and learn about the efforts that are being made all over the city to encourage mutual respect,” de Blasio said during a press conference Tuesday.

The city has taken other steps in recent times to address attacks against Asian New Yorkers.

The NYPD created a task force last August to investigate and combat the spike. The Asian Hate Crime Task Force was filled with 25 Asian-American NYPD detectives who collectively speak 11 different languages.

Nevertheless, there were still 28 hate crimes against Asian Americans in New York last year, compared to just three in 2019, according to Stewart Loo, Deputy Inspector of the NYPD’s Asian Hate Crimes Task Force, who spoke at the press conference.

The rise in anti-Asian rhetoric, Loo said, was spurred by the stigma related to the coronavirus pandemic.

The mayor’s announcement of the toolkit today comes after two anti-Asian incidents in Queens this month.

In the first incident, an Asian woman was subjected to racist remarks by a man who was following her along a commercial street in Astoria on Feb. 9. Video footage of the incident was posted on Twitter– although the NYPD said it didn’t receive an official complaint.

A week later, on Feb. 16, a 52-year-old Asian woman was shoved to the ground by a man on Main Street in Flushing. The suspect was arrested late last week after a video of the attack went viral on social media.

Queens Congress Member Grace Meng, who has been speaking out against the ongoing racism for months, joined de Blasio at his press conference Tuesday.

She said the anti-Asian rhetoric began to increase at the beginning of last year– even before the pandemic reached the shores of the U.S. For instance, she said that small business owners of Asian background faced hostility shortly after the COVID-19 outbreak was reported last January.

“These racist attacks have been outrageous, unconscionable, disgusting and it must end,” Meng said.

In September, Meng shared her personal experience as a victim of the surging anti-Asian bigotry in the country. Her office received a barrage of racist voicemails after a resolution she sponsored–condemning such behavior–passed the House of Representatives earlier that same month.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.

Lithium-ion battery sparked Murray Hill house fire on Sunday evening: FDNY

FDNY fire marshals have determined that a Murray Hill house fire was caused by a lithium-ion battery on Sunday evening.

The FDNY responded to a report of a basement fire at 164-18 Pidgeon Meadow Rd., just before 7:30 p.m., where firefighters discovered approximately 100 lithium-ion batteries burning in the cellar. The property owner was operating an illegal lithium-ion battery repair business inside the home, and multiple micro-mobility devices and lithium-ion batteries were found in various states of disassembly and disrepair.