You are reading

Community Compost Sites Back Up and Running in Queens

Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia shovels compost with Council Members Jimmy Van Bramer and Peter Koo at the Queensbridge Composting site (DSNY via Twitter)

Sept. 18, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Community compost and food scraps drop-off sites are back up and running in Queens after the sites were shuttered for months due to pandemic-related budget cuts.

The sites were reopened after the city’s executive budget restored $2.8 million to community composting for Fiscal Year 2021 last minute, the Department of Sanitation (DSNY) said earlier this month.

The funding allowed the Department to restart all of the NYC Compost Project mid-scale compost educational facilities, provide support to small compost sites and reopen some food scrap drop-off sites throughout the five boroughs.

Local Queens officials celebrated the reopening of the Queensbridge community composting site on Tuesday.

Council Members Peter Koo, Jimmy Van Bramer and Antonio Reynoso joined Acting Queens Borough President Sharon Lee and Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia in welcoming back the composting site.

“We are thrilled that funding was restored in the adopted budget to support our partners and to offer community-based solutions to our waste crisis,” Garcia said. “It’s been a tough year all around, but this restoration of funding has given us hope that our partners will be able to continue to do their crucial work in the long term.”

The compost educational facilities process food scraps and yard waste from drop offs and provide finished compost to community gardens. The facilities also offer tours and volunteer opportunities.

Open drop-off sites can be found on the DSNY website.

The department’s brown bin curbside composting program, however, remains suspended. The curbside collection of food scraps and yard waste is expected to remain shuttered through June 30, 2021.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.

Lithium-ion battery sparked Murray Hill house fire on Sunday evening: FDNY

FDNY fire marshals have determined that a Murray Hill house fire was caused by a lithium-ion battery on Sunday evening.

The FDNY responded to a report of a basement fire at 164-18 Pidgeon Meadow Rd., just before 7:30 p.m., where firefighters discovered approximately 100 lithium-ion batteries burning in the cellar. The property owner was operating an illegal lithium-ion battery repair business inside the home, and multiple micro-mobility devices and lithium-ion batteries were found in various states of disassembly and disrepair.